About Me

My photo
Austin/San Francisco, TX/CA, United States
I'm a young Stylish Fashionista, basic Bad Ass with a really killer wardrobe. Working in Austin TX and San Francisco CA constantly surrounded by Chic people and Fab places. I hope you enjoy musing on the Fashion,Design,Photography and Events and everything else people would find Fab and Chic

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Jose Luis Salon - Austin Hair Salon



Austinites seeking glamorous hair and expert styling need not look further than José Buitron, founder of the acclaimed José Luis Salon. Though Buitron came to the trade by accident—three decades ago, a few friends coerced him into entering the beauty industry—he has developed a passion for hair styling that drives his work. “I don’t care if the hair is long or short,” he admits. “If it’s beautiful, I love it.” Committed not only to beauty but also to the city, Buitron seeks to benefit the community as co-chair of the Lifeworks Academy Award Gala (February 27). “If it weren’t for the clients and staff, we wouldn’t be where we are,” Buitron remarks. The José Luis Salon has certainly garnered prestige since it opened in 1988; recently, for example, Buitron was asked to style hair backstage at the Fall Armani Privé show. “It was surreal…In a fashion relationship, there are no limits except the designer’s vision.” At the same time, Buitron remains as dedicated to his clientele as ever: “I love my clients. I’ve had them for years and years. They’ve grown along with me.” José Luis devotees are no doubt eager to see where Buitron will take the city’s beauty industry next.
If you could trade wardrobes with anyone, who would it be?
Tom Ford. He makes classic modern clothing without being trendy and his attention to detail is impeccable.
Who is your favorite fashion designer?
Valentino. The man does beautiful work, has been relevant for decades, and knows how to live well.
What has been the most memorable night of your life?
Personally, it was marrying my partner [Bill Pitts] at a beautiful ceremony in California. Professionally, it was working with legendary hairdresser Oribe and doing hair for Mr. Armani at his Armani Prive fashion show in Paris.
If you weren’t in your current career, what else would you like to try?
Architect or custom home builder.  I have remodeled and built several homes and love the process of bringing my vision to fruition.
What was your favorite article of clothing as a child?
My grandmother made me a impeccably tailored vinyl jacket for me ( we couldn’t afford leather ). I wore it like it was a priceless couture creation from Valentino.
If you could do the hair of any celebrity, who would it be?
Donald Trump. I would love to give him a makeover as he is iconic for all the wrong reasons. Think of all the publicity! Or, Jennifer Lopez because she is physically iconic for all the right reasons, loves to change her look, and likes glamour.
What is something people don’t know about you?
I have run five marathons.
When and where are you happiest?
Cooking for friends as they sit around my kitchen island laughing and having some great wine.
Where would you live if you weren’t in Austin?
New York City or Paris (or both). I love the constant energy and the juxtaposition of historical and avant-garde and the creative inspiration I get from simply walking endlessly in those cities.
What is your least favorite hairstyle?
The Barbra Streisand Afro—That perm didn’t look good on her or anyone else.
Who are your fantasy dinner party guests?
Anne Richards, Valentino, Tony Bennett, Harvey Milk, Julia Child, Johnny Carson. Politics, fashion, food, music, and someone to ask all the right questions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJHcGgPY_fc

1 comment:

  1. If you read the article above and are thinking of going to Jose Luis, DO NOT GO HERE!!! I got my haircut at Jose Luis and my hair was absolutely destroyed. It was long and straight below my shoulders, almost all one length. I asked for a trim and they cut into the front of my hair right below my nose, deep on each side and completely uneven. It was so bad that another person from this salon had to give me an emergency cut to fix it. I now have awful uneven layers on either side of my face. All I wanted was a trim. It will probably be 6 months to a year before I can even wear my hair straight which I did everyday before. Avoid this salon!

    ReplyDelete